First Nations is Hiring a Senior Program Officer
First Nations Development Institute (First Nations) is a Native-led nonprofit organization working to strengthen Native American economies to support healthy Native communities. For nearly 39 years, using a three-pronged strategy of educating grassroots practitioners, advocating for systemic change, and capitalizing Indian communities, First Nations has been working to restore Native American control and culturally-compatible stewardship of a wide range of assets they own – whether land, human potential, cultural heritage, natural resources, etc. – and to establish new assets for ensuring the long-term vitality of Native American communities.
First Nations is now hiring for a Senior Program Officer. The Senior Program Officer (SPO) is responsible for the strategic planning and management of multi-year, complex projects, including a new fellowship program designed to support Native American knowledge makers and knowledge holders. The SPO will often direct the efforts of program officers and program associates to implement aspects of various projects. The SPO is also responsible for the management and supervision of direct reports (i.e., consultants, grantees and fellows) providing direction, setting goals, giving feedback and coaching, and ensuring professional development and training.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Master’s degree (MA/MS) in Social Work, Public Health, Public Administration, Business or related field.
- Demonstrates a level of mastery of Senior Program Officer functions and competencies, inluding workplan development, evaluation plan and tool development, proactive budget management, effective management of project resources and consultants, design and implementation of training and technical assistance plans, and effective project management skills.
- Has an extensive external peer network.
- Ability to travel frequently as needed (up to 2-3 times monthly).
- Knowledge of and/or familiarity with tribal sovereignty and the historical and contemporary legal development and workings/status of tribal nations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Ability to present to and facilitate small and large audiences in training or conference settings.
- Competent self-starter who will take initiative and work independently.
- Excellent ability to organize and manage multiple projects/deadlines simultaneously, and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated expertise in program management.
- Strong computer skills, including but not limited to MS Outlook and Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint and Word) and selected other program/project management software.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Positive attitude, good people skills and ability to work closely with people at all levels of experience and proficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
To learn more about this position or to apply, please visit www.firstnations.org/our-values/jobs.
To download a PDF of the full job description, click here.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and three references via email to email@example.com. Please note “Senior Program Officer” in the email subject line.